Desired Start Date: Immediate
Position Type: Part time
Approximate hours per month: 8 - 10
Volunteer Mentors provide the companionship of a caring adult to a young person in need of social, developmental, and emotional support.
The Youth Mentoring Program helps to empower youth in our community to make positive life choices. Volunteer Mentors commit to supporting, guiding, and being a positive influence to a young person for at least one year.
Matches will be made on the basis of interests, skills, background, knowledge, and temperament of the mentor and mentee.
- Meeting with assigned mentees for an hour each week
- Work closely with staff through phone, email, and bi-weekly meetings
- Accept and relate to youth who may not share the volunteer’s lifestyle and values
- Build the relationship by planning and participating in activities together
- Help set goals and work toward accomplishing them
- Serve as a positive role model
- Strive for mutual respect
- Build self-esteem and motivation
- At least 21 years of age
- In possession of or working towards a Bachelor's Degree
- At least one year of experience in the supervision of teens
- Dependable and consistent
- Attend mentor training sessions
- Willing to accept guidance and supervision and possess self control